Albert Dock Liverpool launches 2018 event programme
From swashbuckling pirate battles and thundering steam engines to toe-tapping folk music and a fascinating journey into the past - Albert Dock Liverpool has a packed year of free events during 2018 that will excite visitors of all ages, all year-round. And for those who want more adrenalin from their day out, Adventure Dock Co will open to the public in May for the summer - Albert Dock’s exciting new floating aqua park boasting a 92m inflatable assault course!
Officially unveiling its 2018 event calendar, the North West’s most visited free attraction today confirmed the return of its popular Steam (May 12-13), Folk (August 25-27) and Pirates (September 15-16) festivals, plus Heritage – now moving to a new Easter school holiday slot (April 5-8) – and an exciting summer programme to be announced in the coming weeks.
2018 will also see Albert Dock officially partner Liverpool’s 2018 European Capital of Culture anniversary celebrations – working with Culture Liverpool and Liverpool City Council to host The Three Festivals Tall Ships Regatta (May 25-28), and the momentous return of the Clipper Around the World Yacht Race (late July).
Elsewhere on the Dock, Tate Liverpool marks its 30th anniversary with its new summer exhibition, Life in Motion: Egon Schiele/ Francesca Woodman, while the Beatles Story opens Beatles in India – an exhibition celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ trip to Rishikesh in 1968. These headliners join the ongoing programme of other free exhibitions and events taking place throughout the year at the Dock’s Merseyside Maritime Museum and International Slavery Museum. A number of city sightseeing coach tours also operate daily from the Dock.
Clare Rawlinson, marketing manager, Albert Dock Liverpool, said:
“What a year we have in store! We are building on our much-loved festival programme to bring back the most popular events – Pirates, Steam, Folk, and Heritage. Each festival is growing and will come back in 2018 bigger and better than before. The addition of two headline exhibitions at Tate Liverpool and the Beatles Story, with the additional thrill attraction of Adventure Dock Co, makes Albert Dock the essential day out for all the family, whatever the time of year, whatever the weather.”
Albert Dock’s confirmed events for 2018 so far:
- Heritage on the Dock (April 5-8) – free walks, talks, workshops and live music, celebrating the unique heritage of Albert Dock
- Steam on the Dock (May 12-13) – one of the UK’s only inner-city steam rallies welcomes steam engines and boats to Albert Dock as we dedicate a whole weekend to the grand machines of the industrial age
- Folk on the Dock (August 25-27) – world-class, local, national and international artists of folk, roots and acoustic converge on Albert Dock over August Bank Holiday weekend for a live music festival on the city’s iconic waterfront
- Pirates on the Dock (September 15-16) – this now legendary swashbuckling, family adventure thunders into Albert Dock for two days of live action ship battles, the popular Pirates and Mermaid Parade, jaw-dropping stunts and swordfights, local folklore and sea shanty
Other dates for the diary:
- Adventure Dock Co (May-October)
- The Three Festivals Tall Ships Regatta (May 25-28)
- Clipper Around the World Yacht Race (late July)
For details about all other upcoming events at Albert Dock, please visit the http://www.albertdock.com/. Join us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – @thealbertdock #AlbertDock