River of Light – Wirral
New Brighton and Hamilton Square will be up in lights on 5th November in a show-stopping display including live music, family entertainment and spectacular dance. Fireworks-themed face-painting, vocal groups, drummers, an LED dance team, illuminated flyboard fun and fabulous street theatre will be wowing the crowds at New Brighton and Hamilton Square ahead of the fireworks display.
The fireworks display itself, which is taking place from three barges placed in the middle of the River Mersey, is scheduled to start at 6:30pm and will last for around 20 minutes. Star Fireworks, one of the most successful and experienced firework display companies in Europe and the current British Fireworks Champion of Champions will deliver the show.
Joining the already packed line-up, are the Twister Aerobatic Team who are renowned for their ‘heart in the mouth’ aerial performances which will see pyrotechnic effects stream from the wings of each of the two Silence Twister aircrafts.
They will wow the thousands expected to line both sides of the Mersey from around 4.40pm.
Star Fireworks, one of the most successful and experienced firework display companies in Europe and the current British Fireworks Champion of Champions, are delivering the show.
The Twister Aerobatic Team’s display is subject to weather conditions and their involvement in River of Light could change.
New Brighton – Street Theatre & Children’s Activities
The build-up will start from 3:00pm – 8.00pm with family fireworks fun including street theatre, photobooth and facepainting from Birdie camper van, Reesey’s Events, FlyboardFun and Sea Captain to name just a few at the following locations. If you prefer, there is a print friendly download of the below timetable available here.
- 3pm – 8pm – Family fireworks fun including street theatre, photobooth and facepainting from Birdie camper van, Reesey’s Events, FlyboardFun and Sea Captain – Marine Point
- 3.15pm – 6pm – Live music from ViolinAround, The Night & Days, Vox at the Light – (Marine Promenade, Victoria Road, Marine Point)
- 6pm – 7.20pm – Dance – Riotronix LED dance troop (Marine Promenade – Magazines Promenade – Marine Point)
- Throughout the events at New Brighton, don’t forget you can go exploring from one end of the resort to the other thanks to a free, ‘hop on, hop off’ vintage bus that will be circulating between 2.30pm – 8.30pm. Completing a loop to and from the Lifeguard station on Kings Parade, via Marine Promenade, Victoria Road and Atherton Street – for the railway station – the bus will pass approximately every 20 minutes (though there will be a short break in the service between 4.50pm and 5.35pm. Download the full timetable here.
This activity has been made possible due to sponsorship from DONG Energy.
A full break down of times and locations is below:
|Marine Point||3.00pm – 8.00pm||BIRDIE Camper Van Photo Booth|
|Marine Point (The Light Cinema)||3.00pm – 4.00pm||Reesey’s Events – Face Painting|
|Marine Point||3.15pm – 3.35pm||Vox at the Light|
|Victoria Road (by The Olive Tree)||3.20pm – 4.30pm||ViolinAround|
|Marine Point||3.40pm – 4.05pm||The Night & Days|
|Marine Promenade – Magazines Promenade – Victoria Road||4.00pm – 8.00pm||Sea Captain|
|Marine Promenade (Victorian shelter by Fort Perch Rock)||5.00pm – 6.00pm||ViolinAround|
|Victoria Road (by The Olive Tree)||5.10pm – 5.30pm||Vox at the Light|
|Victoria Road (by The Olive Tree)||5.35pm – 6.00pm||The Night & Days|
|Marine Promenade – Magazines Promenade||6.00pm – 6.30pm||RIOTRONIX LED dance troop|
|Marine Point||7.10pm – 7.20pm||RIOTRONIX LED performance|
|Marine Lake||7.30pm – 8.00pm||FlyboardFun LED display|
Food & Drink
Local food and drink outlets will be open as usual, providing a great choice including for people with food allergies. On street catering by businesses from Victoria Road will be available at the entrance to Tower Grounds on Magazines Promenade from 4.30pm, including:
- Cabovino Wine Bar & Tapas – serving paella, hot dogs and a vegetarian Mediterranean stew.
- Blackberry Grove – catering for all tastes and diets; meat eaters, vegan and vegetarian alike. Particularly allergen aware, nut free and gluten free options.
- Bella Italia– 33% off food available here. For those around in the morning, a 2-4-1 breakfast/brunch deal is available here.
- The Queen’s Royal – Outdoor BBQ hot carvery batches and mulled wine.
- United Kitchen – ‘Kids eat free’ for the full day (when accompanied by paying adult).
- Pizza Express – Special 3 course set menu for £13.95 over the River of Light weekend.
- The Olive Tree – Free glass of wine, beer or soft drink with every 2-course meal bought during the River of Light weekend. (Quote code: ‘RLIGHT16’)
- Adventureland – Free stick of rock to each child.
Hamilton Square – Street Theatre & Children’s Activities
- 4pm – 8pm – Family fireworks fun including music, dancers, drummers and fire dancing from Boogie Wonder Van, Bromborough Dancers, Dhol Drummers, Casterways Drummers and Bring The Fire Project. UV face painting. stiltwalkers and caterers will also be onsite.
- 4pm – 6.15pm – Dance/Street Theatre – Performances to be delivered by Bromborough Dancers and Bring the Fire Project, who will be collaborating with Casterways Drummers. Dhol Drummers will also be performing.
- 6.30pm – Firework display starts.
- 4pm – 8pm – Music – Music will be provided by Boogie Wonder Van throughout the event.
Visitors to Birkenhead can enjoy the build-up from 4.00pm in a street theatre show that includes music, dance, street theatre and fire displays, funded by Birkenhead First – the Business Improvement District for Birkenhead Town Centre.
Why not enjoy a host of food and drink stands and special UV face painters, who will create glow in the dark masterpieces. The stilt-walking Jacks of Frost – two frosty sprites doing their best to bring snow wherever they go – will be collecting good wishes to pass on to Santa and have a nose for telling who might not make it onto the ‘good’ list.
From 4.00pm, Bromborough Dancers kick off the proceedings with a performance in Hamilton Square. Music will be provided by the Boogie Wonder Van -– a retro time travelling disco caravan/DJ booth, offering a mix of catchy beats, glamour and kitch décor.
At 4.15pm, the Dhol Drummers will be setting pulses racing with their exciting rhythms and pounding beats in their traditional outfits.
From 4.30pm (and at intervals) Bring the Fire Project will create jaw-dropping fire and light performances. The Liverpool based collective of fire dancers, circus skills teachers and flow arts promoters specialise in creating a fusion of object manipulation, dance and theatre.
From 6.15pm, visitors will be encouraged to make their way down to the riverside to watch the magnificence of the River of Light fireworks display, which takes place from three barges placed in the middle of the River Mersey from 6:30pm and will last for around 20 minutes.
If you’re not ready to go home afterwads, stick around, dance and enjoy the beats of the Boogie Wonder Van from 7.00pm – 8p.00m. The event ends at 8.00pm.
A full break down of times and locations is below:
|4.00pm – onwards||Food concessions open
UV face painting
|4.00pm – 4.15pm||Dance Display – Bromborough Dancers
Boogie Wonder Van
|4.15pm – 4.30pm||Dhol Dummers Display|
|4.30pm – 4.45pm||Bring the Fire Project
The Casterways Drummers
|4.15pm – 5.00pm||Boogie Wonder Van|
|5.00pm – 5.15pm||Bring the Fire Project
The Casterway Drummers
|5.15pm – 5.30pm||Boogie Wonder Van|
|5.30pm – 5.45pm||Bring the Fire Project|
|5.45pm – 6.00pm||Boogie Wonder Van|
|6.00pm – 6.15pm||Bring the Fire Project
The Casterway Drummers
|7.00pm – 8.00pm||Boogie Wonder Van|
The full map of events can be found below.