CreArt invites three artists for the new artist in residence in Aveiro in November
Aveiro invites 3 visual artists from the CreArt Network, to work on artistic ceramics for one month in Aveiro AiR, between November 1st and November 30th.
The participants will be offered all conditions to get inspired by the Aveiro region and its ceramic tradition. During the residency the artists will have a diversified cultural program, which will aim to widen their knowledge of technology and styles of ceramic production in collaboration with professional partners. The artists will have some days for cultural/excursion program and project development and other days for realization of the projects. The projects might focus on object production, design, ceramic painting, installation, mural art, tile or pottery design, experimentation or public art. It is desirable that the artists relate their projects with the elements of local identity.
Who can apply?
The AiR is open to local artists – born or resident – in any of the cities taking part in the CreArt | Network of Cities for Artistic Creation: Aveiro [PT]; Valladolid [ES]; Clermont-Ferrand and Rouen [FR]; Genoa and Lecce [IT]; Liverpool [UK]; Lublin and Katowice [PL]; Kaunas [LT]; Skopje [MK] and Zagreb [HR].
The artists should have some experience or education/formation in the area of ceramics. There is no age limitation. Proposals are accepted for indoor or outdoor (public) artworks based on: 1) porcelain, faience or red clay object productions, 2) experimental ceramics and painting on ceramics, 3) ready-made ceramic installations, 4) tile experimentation or 5) mix of several options. The artists should plan projects which can be realized during the residency.
In case of the applicants without university level, proof of equivalent ability must be provided through his/her artistic career.
Conditions and stipend
The organisation will cover travel expenses to Aveiro [up to €500] for the artists coming from CreArt Cities. Aveiro also cover the material costs and will pay a grant of €500 for subsistence, production costs and other expenses.
The artists must have an european health card or equivalent.
Studio and accommodation will be provided by the organization in the city center of Aveiro.
Aveiro AiR | CreArt programme
- Aveiro will provide a curator to guide the artists in their work as well as to install in the city and which will organize events to introduce the artists in the local artist’s community, promoting the possibility for the CreArt artists to present their work.
- The three selected artists will develop their proposals with a curatorial assistance before starting the residency to define, mature and adequate the projects.
- During the AiR will be defined open days for visitors [school students and public in general]
- A final public presentation of the works created during the residency will take place [group exhibition]. The exhibition, its opening ceremony and dissemination will be assumed by the organization.
- The artists are committed to attend daily and work in the residence. A final report must be produced at the end.
- One of the works produced must remain in Aveiro and will be included in the artistic ceramics collection of the City Museum.
Are you interested?
The application form is available here
- ID or passport (scanned copy)
- A short version of your resume/CV [one A4]
- Documentation material recent and related to the project, with technical specifications [maximum e examples of representative artworks, 5 pages and 5 pictures. links can be included];
- A short written project proposal [one A4].This document should also contain a list of technical needs [typology of clay, pigments, objects and quantities; the preferred kiln temperature regimes and size; other relevant technical details which can help the organization to understand the project].
Only applications with complete information will be accepted. The applications must be submitted before September, 18th, 2019. Aveiro will inform of the results until September 22nd. The shortlist will be published in the CreArt website.
The participation in this call implies the acceptance of these bases, and the artists selected should include a reference of in all their future communications that have been selected to participate in the CreArt Artists in Residence program, in Aveiro – project co-funded by the European Union – Creative Europe program.